Singles Awareness Day
As Singles Awareness Day (February 14) approaches, I thought I'd give you a nice story about a memorable Valentine's Day for me. It was February 2003, and for the first time ever, I cheesymac had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day, a boyfriend of 2 months at that point. So all day at work I waited to get the call from the receptionist to say that my flowers had arrived. I received no such call. Then that night, I got a call from my boyfriend who told me he was out of town for business and he would give me my present before we went to a gala the following night. The anticipation grew. He showed up at my door with what's known in the floral world as a Spring Mix, basically carnations and other cheap junk you give your MOM, not your girlfriend! Two hours later, I realized I had to dump him because he wouldn't dance to "Brick House" at the gala. But I saw the nail in the coffin when I arrived home and realized that 75% of the flowers he gave me were moldy. That's right. The first flowers I ever received from a non-relative male were moldy. I initiated the break up the following weekend.
So, singles out there, know it's better to have no flowers than to have moldy ones from a guy you know you'll have to dump the following week.
To counter that, I've decided that each V-Day I'm single, I'm buying myself flowers. Tulips. I love tulips. Because God created tulips for me, he made me love tulips before I realized I'm part Dutch, and he gave me a job that pays me so I can buy tulips.
So, singles out there, know it's better to have no flowers than to have moldy ones from a guy you know you'll have to dump the following week.
To counter that, I've decided that each V-Day I'm single, I'm buying myself flowers. Tulips. I love tulips. Because God created tulips for me, he made me love tulips before I realized I'm part Dutch, and he gave me a job that pays me so I can buy tulips.

4 Comments:
I'm sort of weird about V-day. For me it is more Celebrate Your Singleness Day. No being forced to show your affection and love just because everyone else is doing it. This day give me a sense of freedom and unshackledness. There are no expectations on me, I don't have to perform. Other days, ordinary days, days when my car is stuck in the snow, that is when I feel aware of being single in a negative way. However, I'm all about buying yourself flowers and you are right, tulips are so beautiful.
great story.... i think i got you beat though. check out valtoons!
True, true, ML, you gotta love no pressure. February 13, 14, they're all the same to me. No worries because no expectations...it's sad, but freeing at the same time.
Actually, Single's Awareness Day is today (Feb 15), not Valentine's Day, according to this website:
http://www.singlesawareness.com/
Post a Comment
<< Home