cheesymac

A slice of life from a lover of cheese.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

What's a girl to do?

So someone gave me the book "How to Find a Date Worth Keeping: Be Dating in Six Months or Your Money Back," by Henry Cloud. I have to express I did not buy this book nor want to read it, but it was given to me by someone who told me I should read it, at least to get a different perspective.

The book basically says that girls (and guys) need to be proactive in finding a mate. I'm down with that idea for guys (in fact, I agreed with 95% of the chapter "Where's the Testosterone?"), but Henry Cloud recommends guys and girls church shop for available mates, try to meet people in Starbucks, and go out on dates with anyone no matter what they believe.

I have to say, this book really challenged me. Henry Cloud says the idea of waiting on God to provide a mate is totally non-Biblical. Well, that's the belief I've held since I read the book, "Lady in Waiting," by Debby Jones and Jackie Kendall. I first heard of this book in 1997, and the pages are pretty dog eared by now.

Henry Cloud basically says singleness is your own fault. You can be married if you only work towards it.

But in my consideration, I've determined that Mr. Cloud makes several assumptions:
--Everyone who wants to be married should be.
--We should determine at what stage of our life we should get married.

So I'm sticking with waiting on God and holding up my shield of faith. I'm interested to hear what you think. Please comment!

Along those lines, my church is doing a series on sex, dating, and marriage, and we need your input! Go to www.Questumc.org/survey.htm and fill out a short survey about your thoughts on the issue. Thanks!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I don't have an ID and don't really want to make one right now. You know me as one of the sound guys. My swinging bachelor days aren't so far removed that I can't remember what it was like to be single. I think that author is taking it too far, but I do think you have to be a little pro-active. I think you can have a discerning eye and not date anything male, but you should get out there and have some dates. Otherwise you may lose sight of what you are and aren't looking for in a man, and may lose the skills necessary to interact with them socially. You gotta keep yourself fresh, in the game, and attentive.

Catch ya later,

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home