A little help from my friends
So you know how I was so proud that I did something myself? Well, God has shown me my need for help from others.
Case in point tonight. I arrived to a dark home. I found my welcome mat ajar, and my front door unlocked and not even shut. I immediately freaked out and called for help to the guy friend who I suspected was in the closest proximity to my location. Unfortunately, he and my other option were still at work. But he stayed on the phone while I walked through my apartment, checking to make sure everything was like it should be. And it was. I even checked to see if some freak was hiding behind my shower curtain like some bad slasher movie.
It's easy for me to ask for help when I know that's something the other person wants to do and when it doesn't make me appear vulnerable. But in situations like installing a wireless router, I feel uncomfortable about my singless. Truthfully, I wish I were married to a guy who could install it for me. But I'm not. So in my pride of justifying my single state I glory in how I can take care of it myself.
Yes, I take on tasks I never thought I would accomplish simply because singless affords me no option. That's awesome. But Biblical community requires me to realize that I am not "single," but I have plently of others around who can help me through life...like the girls who helped me buy, transport, and put together furniture on a Saturday night and the guys who came at moment's notice to unload that furniture into my place. I felt totally blessed. That's the joy of living in community.
Case in point tonight. I arrived to a dark home. I found my welcome mat ajar, and my front door unlocked and not even shut. I immediately freaked out and called for help to the guy friend who I suspected was in the closest proximity to my location. Unfortunately, he and my other option were still at work. But he stayed on the phone while I walked through my apartment, checking to make sure everything was like it should be. And it was. I even checked to see if some freak was hiding behind my shower curtain like some bad slasher movie.
It's easy for me to ask for help when I know that's something the other person wants to do and when it doesn't make me appear vulnerable. But in situations like installing a wireless router, I feel uncomfortable about my singless. Truthfully, I wish I were married to a guy who could install it for me. But I'm not. So in my pride of justifying my single state I glory in how I can take care of it myself.
Yes, I take on tasks I never thought I would accomplish simply because singless affords me no option. That's awesome. But Biblical community requires me to realize that I am not "single," but I have plently of others around who can help me through life...like the girls who helped me buy, transport, and put together furniture on a Saturday night and the guys who came at moment's notice to unload that furniture into my place. I felt totally blessed. That's the joy of living in community.

2 Comments:
Allison! Sorry, I haven't read your blog in a while. Here are my thoughts...
1. I'm so excited you are eating fruits and veggies. I remember in college that you didn't eat my veggies, now if only we can make you a rice eater as well!
2. Jilian and I jokingly had a "We don't need no stinkin' boys" list. This list consisted of all the things that we had to fix or figure out that you might stereotype as a boy being able to do. Like: fixing the garabge disposal and installing new outdoor lights (much easier than it would seem).
Anyway, thanks for the updates!! Keep eating your greens!
Yeah, I don't know about rice...bad carbs and all.
Nice profile picture of you line dancing!
Post a Comment
<< Home