No Opportunity Wasted
Last night was our second annual church ice skating night, which was full of precious moments. Like kids who fell and picked themselves up again. Others who had very little balance but made it around the rink with a big smile on their faces. And at least one who cried when the Zamboni came out and it was time to go home.
I love this event every year. Part of the reason I love it is because it challenges us. Maybe we're 4 and this is the first time we've ever been on ice. And--with some adult help--we can make it around the rink like everyone else. Or maybe we're 26 and a friend who's had some ice skating training is trying to get us to jump for the first time. Or maybe it's been 26 years since we've put on skates and we're hoping we're not going to injure ourselves too bad.
Last night reminded me of a book I recently read by the host of the "Amazing Race." Called "No Opportunity Wasted: Creating a List for Life," the book challenges readers of any situation to have dreams and fulfill them. Like a postal worker who wanted to play a game of professional hockey. Or the elderly nun who wanted to run a triathalon.
So, I've put together my NOW list shown below. I have some estimated completion dates next to them. Having someone come along side and complete these with me would really help, so let me know if you're interested!
1. Take tennis lessons (Summer 06)
2. Take dancing lessons (not sure what yet...I like swing....)
3. Complete a climbing wall
4. Bike the Katy Trail 200+ miles across Missouri
5. Learn Hungarian (by Summer 06)
6. Take singing lessons
7. Buy tickets for cool cultural stuff (4xs per year)
8. Go on the St. Louis Cardinals Sea-N-Red Cruise
9. Mentor a child
10. Go on a day-long hike
11. Learn how to water ski
12. Learn how to snow ski
13. Do up downtown Chicago--fancy hotel and all
14. Spend a night at a spa
15. Create a list of literature classics I want to read and read them
16. Run a 5k
17. Write a children's book
18. Volunteer with Special Olympics
19. Visit the neighborhood I grew up in
20. Investigate becoming an Organ Donor
21. Go on the "Price is Right" with my brother
22. Go on a bobsled run
23. Take a seminary class
I love this event every year. Part of the reason I love it is because it challenges us. Maybe we're 4 and this is the first time we've ever been on ice. And--with some adult help--we can make it around the rink like everyone else. Or maybe we're 26 and a friend who's had some ice skating training is trying to get us to jump for the first time. Or maybe it's been 26 years since we've put on skates and we're hoping we're not going to injure ourselves too bad.
Last night reminded me of a book I recently read by the host of the "Amazing Race." Called "No Opportunity Wasted: Creating a List for Life," the book challenges readers of any situation to have dreams and fulfill them. Like a postal worker who wanted to play a game of professional hockey. Or the elderly nun who wanted to run a triathalon. So, I've put together my NOW list shown below. I have some estimated completion dates next to them. Having someone come along side and complete these with me would really help, so let me know if you're interested!
1. Take tennis lessons (Summer 06)
2. Take dancing lessons (not sure what yet...I like swing....)
3. Complete a climbing wall
4. Bike the Katy Trail 200+ miles across Missouri
5. Learn Hungarian (by Summer 06)
6. Take singing lessons
7. Buy tickets for cool cultural stuff (4xs per year)
8. Go on the St. Louis Cardinals Sea-N-Red Cruise
9. Mentor a child
10. Go on a day-long hike
11. Learn how to water ski
12. Learn how to snow ski
13. Do up downtown Chicago--fancy hotel and all
14. Spend a night at a spa
15. Create a list of literature classics I want to read and read them
16. Run a 5k
17. Write a children's book
18. Volunteer with Special Olympics
19. Visit the neighborhood I grew up in
20. Investigate becoming an Organ Donor
21. Go on the "Price is Right" with my brother
22. Go on a bobsled run
23. Take a seminary class

3 Comments:
Take lessons from me!!! I want to teach you ;)
I would be up for joining you on the Katy Trail trip. I could also likely get my friend Joel to join us.
Allison, so with you on the Card Cruise, duh, but am all about the tennis lessons and Chicago trip (which can be combined with cultural events) too.
Post a Comment
<< Home